2017 Canada's 150th Birthday. Operators in Canada are allowed


Please note that next year is Canada's 150th Birthday. Operators in Canada are allowed (all year) in 2017 to operate with a special event prefix, that is, every Canadian amateur radio station may be a special event station automatically and with no paperwork.

(I'm just spreading the world early as last time we had special event prefixes, I didn't hear many at all besides myself using them on the air and no one seemed to know about it)

As listed on the Industry Canada site (linked below):
VA can become CF
VE can become CG
VO can become CH
VY can become CI

Any operator with a callsign starting with "VA", for example, may operate their callsign with "CF" instead. For example, VA3RAC could operate as CF3RAC, VE3RAC could operate as CG3RAC, etc.

All of the awards I've played with so far (DXCC, WAS, CQ WPX, WAZ, Counties, etc) all accept different callsigns in a submission as long as it's the same operator/QTH

eQSL, LOTW and QRZ are relatively simple to get set up for an additional callsign, and the RAC outgoing bureau accepts Special Event Prefixes as part of your normal free annual allotment.

The best part of operating as CJ3MWL during the 50th Anniversary of the Canadian Flag event was that I was suddenly "epic dx" for the prefix-hunters. I made a rather insane number of QSOs in the one month it was active. I also quite enjoyed making QSL cards specifically for that event to celebrate.

You can look that call up on QRZ if you are interested.
http://apc-cap.ic.gc.ca/pls/apc_anon/query_spev$.startup

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous15:40

    I noticed the special attention also last year when operating as a CJ callsign. Even though I was operating QRP it seemed like I could break many pile ups like never before or ever again. Can't wait till next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, Comments may take a day to show up
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.