What do hams do?

What do hams do?
If I haven’t lost them at that point, I try to tell them about all the services that amateur radio provides and all the other fun stuff that amateur radio operators do. This includes:

Emergency communications,
SkyWarn,
Operating Morse Code,
DXing,
Building kits,
Contesting,
Experimenting with computers like the Raspberry Pi,
EchoLink and IRLP,
Satellites,
Vintage radio,
QRP (using low-power transmitters),
Etc., etc., etc.

Of course I never have enough time to tell them all about amateur radio. So, that’s what I’m going to try to do with this book. I want this book to not only serve to get folks interested in amateur radio, but also to help newcomers get involved in our hobby. If I do my job right this book will be a combination of Ham Radio for Dummies, AC6V’s DXing 101, and the ARRL Operating Manual.

There’s a lot of nonsense floating around out there about amateur radio, and I’m making it my job to get it straight, so that the amateur radio can be both the public service and the hobby that it was meant to be. That’s my “no-nonsense” approach to ham radio.

Etymology of ham radio
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_ham_radio



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, Comments may take a day to show up
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.